Food and drinks in India
Indian cuisine varies from region to region, with each part having unique flavors and cooking styles. Some of the most popular dishes are listed here. And drinks you should try when visiting India:
- Curry: Curry is a staple in Indian cuisine and comes in various flavors and spice levels. Some popular curries include chicken tikka masala, butter chicken, and paneer makhani.
- Biryani: Biryani is a flavorful rice dish cooked with various spices, meat, or vegetables. It is a popular dish in both North and South India.
- Chaat is India's most famous street food consisting of small fried or boiled snacks served with chutneys and spices. Some popular chaat dishes include samosas, Bhel puri, and pani puri.
- Dosas and idlis: Dosas and idlis are South Indian breakfast staples. Dosas are thin, crispy crepes made from a fermented batter of rice and lentils, while idlis are steamed rice cakes.
- Lassi: Lassi is a popular yogurt-based drink in sweet or savory flavors. Sweet lassi is flavored with sugar and fruit, while delicious lassi is flavored with spices like cumin and salt.
- Chai: Chai is a sweet and spicy tea that is made with milk, black tea, and a variety of spices like ginger, cardamom, and cinnamon. It is a popular drink throughout India and is often served with snacks like biscuits or samosas.
- Thali: Thali is a meal of various dishes served on a platter. It typically includes rice, roti or naan, dal, vegetables, and dessert.
These are a few delicious food and drinks you can try in India. Remember also to try the local street food, which is often cheap and flavorful. However, it's essential to be cautious when trying new foods and only eat food cooked and served hot to avoid getting sick.